Friday, August 8, 2008

Fleshing out evolution.

I grew up believing in evolution. The concept didn't clash with any closely held beliefs of the community I was born into, so I'd heard of the concept and understood it to be the scientific reality that it is. But it wasn't until recently that I actually understood the concept properly. My pre-university concept of evolution was pretty simplistic, something like "creatures gradually get better over time; humans came from monkeys".

But evolution is much more interesting than that, much more profound in its implications, yet not that difficult to understand. The key is why evolution occurs, not just that it does. My sense, however, is that the majority of evolution acceptors in Australia have only ever been exposed to the one sentence version of the concept, as I had been.

So if you want more, here's two recommendations:

Read The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. I believe my co-blogger, Dan, is in the middle of it himself.

AND/OR

Check out Dawkins' new TV series The Genius of Charles Darwin

Dan recommends you check out this site for even more fascinating information to help us understand more about us and the world we live in.

No comments: